[fitsbits] REFERENC keyword, etc.

William Thompson William.T.Thompson at nasa.gov
Mon Jul 20 17:27:10 EDT 2015

Folks:

In our community we've been discussing the need for including information in the
FITS header about the instrument that produced the data.  The FITS standard
describes the keyword REFERENC which is described as being where the data are
published.  We were thinking of using this or a similar keyword to point to the
instrument paper.  However, the description of REFERENC doesn't appear to be
compatible with this usage.  Instead, it appears to be oriented towards a data
rights model where specific observations are considered to belong to a group of
researchers until the data are published.  That's not generally the case in our
field.

One keyword that we've recently (tentatively) adopted is INFO_URL to point to a
website where information about the instrument can be found.  This can include
copies of the instrument paper(s), user guides, software manuals, observer's
logs, and the like.  However, one must always consider URLs as ultimately
ephemeral, and a standard way to point to the published literature, which is
considered to be more permanent, is highly desired.  I'm curious to know how
other groups have tackled this problem.

One possible set of keywords which have occurred to me are:

INS_REF Instrument description paper
CAL_REF Instrument calibration paper

The instrument calibration paper tends to come well after the instrument
description paper.  I haven't discussed these keywords yet with our teams, but
they seem sensible.  As with REFERENCE, these should either contain the ADS
bibcode, or the DOI.

I'm interested to know what you think,

Bill Thompson

--