[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on the INHERIT convention

Frank Valdes valdes at noao.edu
Thu Jul 2 13:00:24 EDT 2015

This is a programming practices question.  In our case we want applications to be independent of the data format structure (possibly not even FITS).  An application asks for the value of EXPTIME in an image (a higher level construct which might happen to map to extension 10 in an MEF).  The lower level image I/O software (layered on even lower level FITS I/O in this discussion) handles this.  What you are saying is that high level application software needs to deal with the format itself.  I would pose the question, why doesn't your application open a FITS file as a binary file and do all the parsing of the file rather than rely on a FITS I/O layer such as CFITSIO, etc.  That would certainly be explict right? :) [I really assume  and hope that you use some FITS library to get a keyword and not direct file access to get your keywords.]

But if you are saying why doesn't the lower level FITS I/O layer just check both then basically this becomes the INHERIT implementation, right?

Frank