[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on the INHERIT convention

Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Wed Jul 1 11:11:22 EDT 2015

> On 07/01/15 08:46, Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) wrote:
>> Peter Weilbacher wrote:

I don't think anyone's suggesting that users not write binary tables or
image extensions or even limiting the use of INHERIT as a convention.
However if we add it as a standard element of FITS that is -- to my mind
at least -- an implicit endorsement of it as a good and recommended
technical solution.  A duplication of functionality with existing
capabilities would certainly be something to be considered in making
that evaluation.  If the bias against the existing capability is based
upon a misapprehension then we should clarify that and understand what
the real benefits are.  Peter's concerns with the efficiency of binary
tables might arise from aspects or use cases that I've not considered.
But if lots of people think that binary tables are inefficient and
that's not the case, then maybe the answer is education rather than
adding complexity to the standard. Presumably the role of this
discussion period should be to thrash out the pluses and minuses of
suggested changes.

I want to see some clear benefit for <any> change to the standard.  In
this case, where it breaks the long standing decoupling of FITS HDUs so
that the processing of FITS files needs to be significantly rethought,
I think that benefit should be substantial before we endorse it.

     Tom