[fitsbits] FITS standard for spatial planetary data

William Thompson William.T.Thompson at nasa.gov
Thu Aug 27 16:18:33 EDT 2015

On 08/27/15 13:57, Steve Allen wrote:
> On Thu 2015-08-27T19:33:15 +0200, Chiara Marmo hath writ:
>> I am a Research Engineer in a French lab involved in Planetary Sciences (surface imagery and spectro-imagery, in particular).
>>
>> As part of the Europlanet H2020 project we want to propose standard FITS keywords for planetary surface observations.
>
>> 1) A working group on Planetary Data already exists?
>
> My immediate impression is that the WCS needs of this project should
> share some of the conventions that have been needed by the solar
> astronomy community for describing the observations of features on the
> solar surface.

I guess I should chime in at this point, since I'm the one who worked on the
adoption of WCS to solar coordinates.  This is outlined in the paper

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-data_query?bibcode=2006SPD....37.0307T&db_key=AST&link_type=ABSTRACT&high=48bdb5fcba04631

and there are a couple of follow-up papers:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-data_query?bibcode=2010SoPh..261..215T&db_key=AST&link_type=ABSTRACT&high=48bdb5fcba04631

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-data_query?bibcode=2010A%26A...515A..59T&db_key=AST&link_type=ABSTRACT&high=48bdb5fcba04631

There's always been a well-defined coordinate system for describing the
locations of features on the solar photospheric surface, known as Carrington
longitude and latitude.  Related to that are Stonyhurst coordinates that are
typically used for describing the instantaneous positions of flares and other
transient phenomena.  The only innovation that I added to these was to
explicitly define Stonyhurst coordinates as being based on the view from Earth.
  I know that the IAU defines similar planetocentric/planetographic coordinate
systems for all the major planets in the solar system, even those like Jupiter
which don't have a hard surface (like the Sun).

Less well defined were coordinate systems for images of the Sun.  It was common
practice to use a cartesian-like system with the origin at the apparent center
of the Sun in the image, with the "y" axis aligned with the projection of the
solar north axis onto the image plane, and with the "x" axis pointed to the
right, usually expressed in arcseconds.  My contribution was to firm this up so
that the "x" axis was treated as a longitude, and the "y" axis was treated as a
latitude.  This allowed the image coordinates to be extended out to any distance
from the Sun.

I can't comment on what common practice is for planetary images.

>> 2) If not, is someone in this list interested in following or contributing to this discussion?
>
> Announcements always belong in fitsbits, and I think the initial
> coordination can also occur on fitsbits.
>
> To the extent that the planetary discussion delves into world
> coordinates that would fit well into the FITS WCS list
> fitswcs at listmgr.nrao.edu
>
>> 3) Once a draft of a document is ready, to whom do I submit it?
>> What is the procedure for the IAU evaluates and accepts the new
>> definitions?

For the solar coordinate system that I put together, it was decided that this
constitutes a convention rather than a standard, so the IAU FITS committee did
not vote on it as part of the standard.  However, before submitting it to the
journal, I widely distributed drafts of the convention as it was being developed
both to fitsbits and to the solarnews mailing list to solicit comments and
community approval.