[fitsbits] FITS standard for spatial planetary data

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Thu Aug 27 13:57:04 EDT 2015

On Thu 2015-08-27T19:33:15 +0200, Chiara Marmo hath writ:
> I am a Research Engineer in a French lab involved in Planetary Sciences (surface imagery and spectro-imagery, in particular).
>
> As part of the Europlanet H2020 project we want to propose standard FITS keywords for planetary surface observations.

> 1) A working group on Planetary Data already exists?

My immediate impression is that the WCS needs of this project should
share some of the conventions that have been needed by the solar
astronomy community for describing the observations of features on the
solar surface.

> 2) If not, is someone in this list interested in following or contributing to this discussion?

Announcements always belong in fitsbits, and I think the initial
coordination can also occur on fitsbits.

To the extent that the planetary discussion delves into world
coordinates that would fit well into the FITS WCS list
fitswcs at listmgr.nrao.edu

> 3) Once a draft of a document is ready, to whom do I submit it?
> What is the procedure for the IAU evaluates and accepts the new
> definitions?

The IAU reorganization that is currently in progress means that the
answer that has been true may not be true by the time that a new
document is ready, so (not to be too facetious) the Magic 8-Ball says
"Ask again later".

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>               WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB   Natural Sciences II, Room 165   Lat  +36.99855