[fitsbits] Question on angstrom and erg units in FITS standard

Demitri Muna demitri.muna at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 15:23:32 EST 2014

On Nov 4, 2014, at 2:48 PM, Phil Hodge <hodge at stsci.edu> wrote:

> I wouldn't use a FITS writer that changed my data.

Agreed. A FITS writer should not write an invalid FITS file or one that does not meet the spec. If a file does meet the spec, reading it in full and writing it back out should not change any data.

This does not preclude warning the user what is *preferred*.

> 2. Angstrom and erg are deprecated in the IAU list

Deprecated means (to me) that you should not be using feature X, but if you do (and you can) /don't be surprised if in the future if your file that uses feature X no longer works (which in this case could mean the file can be read but will not be written out the same way as above).

That said, I don't see why an updated FITS format can't attach any unit (e.g. anything defined in astropy.units) to any column (barring ambiguity of course).

Demitri

Demitri Muna

Department of Astronomy
An Ohio State University