[fitsbits] Question on angstrom and erg units in FITS standard

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Tue Nov 4 15:00:20 EST 2014

On Tue 2014-11-04T14:47:14 -0500, Arnold Rots hath writ:
> I think the authors waffled on the issue, on purpose.

I could go back and look through the correspondence of Greisen and
Calabretta when they were laying out Table 6 of WCS paper 1, but I
think that is true.  The idea was to guide toward an ideal and away
from obvious trouble.

Much more clear in my mind are the expressions on the faces of the
rest of the instrument team here when I insist that everything in the
engineering data for the FITS files conform with the ideal
recommendations.  For the sake of just getting the instrument
delivered in working condition this is a battle better not to be
fought.

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>                WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB   Natural Sciences II, Room 165    Lat  +36.99855