[fitsbits] FITS Mime Type for gzipped bintable

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 11 09:36:04 EDT 2013

I am not sure the FITSMIME list is still active, so I am sending
this also to FITSBITS.

Yulie Zografou noticed an inconsistency in our Mime types:

The accepted bintable Mimetype is:
application/x-fits-bintable     A FITS binary table (single BINTABLE
extension)

For image and tar there are such options but not for bintable
image/x-fits-gzip                   A GZIP-compressed FITS image
application/x-tar-gzip            A GZIP-compressed TAR file

Reading the IANA and related FITS specs it is is not clear
(or may be not allowed) whether one can make up something like:
application/x-fits-bintable-**gzip

Why was no gzip version of the bintable Mimetype defined?

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA