[fitsbits] polar coordinates

Tom McGlynn Thomas.A.McGlynn at nasa.gov
Thu Dec 12 10:26:38 EST 2013

I guess I'm a little unclear on the actual requirement here.  Are we
trying to represent the plane of some theoretical disk, or are we
viewing a disk from some other location and looking at its emission?
Walter's original message suggested the second since the radius had
units of degrees from the center of the disk.  If we wanted the first
presumably the units of radius should be some physical dimension.

The former requires some tweaks to represent in standard WCS
projections since they implicitly assume that we are projecting from
the sphere to a plane, whereas this would be a plane->plane
projection.  However we can just say that we are far away from the
disk such that it subtends a small angle in the sky and is
perpendicular to our line of sight.  Since the maximum angular radius
is small (as small as we like) we can use any of the azimuthal
projections using the center of the disk as our reference pixel.
There will be a linear transformation of the angular radius to the
physical radius.

If we are modelling the emission of the disk as seen from some finite
radius, then again we can set the CRVALn to the center of the disk and
everything falls out pretty straightfowardly.  Now the ARC projection
is the one that linearly renders the angular radius (by definition)
but other projections could be used as appropriate.  [If we are not on
the axis perpendicular to the center of the disk, then it may be more
convenient to choose the closest point of the disk as the coordinate
origin rather than the center of the disk.]

In the first case we'd have NAXISn x | CDELTn | << 1 whereas in the
second case we'd have NAXISn x | CDELT n | ~ 1 since we presume the
disk is subtending a significant fraction of the sky.  The CRPIX's
would be NAXISn/2 (assuming we are trying to cover the disk) and
CRVALn=(0,90).  I don't know if LON/LAT--ARC is legal and if not I
guess one has to use RA/DEC[-]--ARC.

	Regards,
	Tom