[fitsbits] polar coordinates

Tom McGlynn Thomas.A.McGlynn at nasa.gov
Thu Dec 12 09:32:49 EST 2013

Phil's take sounds right to me.... But use of the log is pretty weird.
  The origin of the projection would represent the entire real circle
at 1 degree radius.  It's unclear how one would represent data within
the innermost 1 degree.  Including the real origin in the projection
would be akin to including the poles in a Mercator projection: it
would require an infinite map.

Seems like something like arcsinh(r) might lead to a better behaved
projection.  That leaves the origin linear and has logarithmic
behavior for large r.  You could probably do a pretty good
approximation of that over a reasonable range using a standard ZPN
projection with some universal set of coefficients.  I don't know if
you can do that with log given its singularity at the origin.

    Regards,
    Tom McGlynn