[fitsbits] Primary & Alternate WCS Keyword Order

William Pence William.Pence at nasa.gov
Thu Jun 28 16:21:25 EDT 2012

Based on the lengthy discussion of this issue here, I have modified the
on-line FITS file verifier at http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits_verify.html
to temporarily disabled any checks on the position of the WCSAXESa
keywords (where a = A-Z) in FITS headers.  It seems that requiring that
all the WCSAXESa keywords appear before ANY other WCS keyword goes
beyond what was intended.  For now at least, the FITS verifier still
requires that the WCSAXES keyword itself (without an alternate suffix
letter) appear before any other WCS keyword, but the alternate WCSAXESa
keywords may appear anywhere.

-Bill

Dr. William Pence                       William.Pence at nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662       HEASARC        +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                      +1-301-286-1684 (fax)