[fitsbits] WCS keywords in tables

William Pence William.Pence at nasa.gov
Thu Apr 8 12:23:29 EDT 2010

Steve,

In general terms, the Greenbank convention is commonly interpreted to
mean that if you use a keyword to define some attribute of a single FITS
image, then that keyword gets converted into a column name when you pack
multiple images into a vector column of a binary table.  Suppose the
keyword AIRTEMP = 17 is used to give the ambient temperature at the time
the image is obtained. If you were to pack many such images into a
vector column in a binary table, one image per row of the table, then
you would record the temperature value for each image by creating
another column in that table whose name is the same as the keyword,
i.e., TTYPEn = 'AIRTEMP'.  Thus, under the Greenbank convention what was
a single keyword for a simple FITS image becomes the name of a column in
the binary table.

The current discussion involves a different situation, where a binary
table contains multiple images in a vector column, and one uses the
simple form of the WCS keywords instead of using the specific forms that
were designed for this purpose (e.g., '1CTYP7', if the vector is stored
in column 7 of the table, instead of CTYPE1).  By using the simple form
of the WCS keywords one loses the information about which column of the
table contains the image, but as long as there is only one vector
column, or if there are several vector columns, but they all have the
same WCS, then there is no ambiguity.  And to answer Arnold Rots' recent
email, if both forms of the WCS keywords exist in the table header, then
the column-specific form of the keywords would take precedence for that
particular column.

I think the description of the Greenbank (or should it be Green Bank??)
convention in the FITS User's Guide
(http://archive.stsci.edu/fits/users_guide/node69.html#SECTION00723200000000000000
) is rather confusing, so I agree with Lucio's recent post that this
convention should be written up and submitted for inclusion in the FITS
Registry.  If there are no other volunteers, I'll write up a draft.

Bill

Dr. William Pence                       William.Pence at nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662       HEASARC        +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                      +1-301-286-1684 (fax)