[fitsbits] WCS keywords in tables

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 6 13:53:03 EDT 2010

Bill,

I couldn't get enthusiastic about this convention, but if it's useful...

I do have some questions, though:

- How do we know which columns these keywords apply to?
  All that contain a 2D vector?

- How do we interpret a situation where there are 2D vector columns
  that do have explicit specifications (whether WCS or otherwise), in
  addition to there being a global specification of the kind you are
  proposing?

Cheers,

  - Arnold

William Pence wrote:
> So far there have been no objections to this simplifying WCS convention
> for images stored in FITS binary tables.  If that's really the case,
> then I will write up a short description (crediting Mark Calabretta as
> the originator) and submit it for inclusion in the Registry of FITS
> Conventions on the FITS support office web site.
>
> Bill Pence
>
> Pence, William D. (GSFC-6601) wrote:
> > The following question about FITS WCS keyword usage occurred during some
> > recent discussions with a group that is in the process of designing the
> > format of their FITS data files:
> >
> > This project intends to produce a large volume of FITS binary tables in
> > which several of the columns will each contain a small image (in a
> > 2-dimensional vector cell) in every row of the table.   Table 8.2 in the
> > FITS standard defines the set of WCS keywords that should be used in
> > this case (where the images are in column 4 of the table in this example):
> >
> > WCAX4   =                    2 / number of World Coordinate System axes
> > 1CRPX4  =             86.88896 / reference pixel
> > 2CRPX4  =            261.93919 / reference pixel
> > 1CRVL4  =    284.6423916705557 / right ascension  at reference pixel
> > 2CRVL4  =    39.92821811003438 / declination (degrees) at reference
> > pixel
> > 1CTYP4  = 'RA---TAN'           / the coordinate type for the first axis
> >
> > 2CTYP4  = 'DEC--TAN'           / the coordinate type for the second axis
> >
> > 1CDLT4  = -0.00110560439808150 / degrees per pixel, increasing eastward
> >
> > 2CDLT4  = 0.001105604398081504 / degrees per pixel, increasing northward
> >
> > (etc)
> >
> > These keywords would need to be repeated for all the other columns that
> > contain images.
> >
> > However, in their particular case, *all* the images contained in the
> > table have exactly the same WCS keyword values, so it is redundant to
> > repeat the same keywords for every column.  So, they would prefer to
> > just list all the WCS keywords once, using the standard keywords that
> > are used for simple FITS images:
> >
> > WCSAXES   =                    2 / number of World Coordinate System axes
> > CRPIX1  =             86.88896 / reference pixel
> > CRPIX2  =            261.93919 / reference pixel
> > CRVAL1  =    284.6423916705557 / right ascension at reference pixel
> > CRVAL2  =    39.92821811003438 / declination (degrees) at reference
> > pixel
> > CTYPE1  = 'RA---TAN'           / the coordinate type for the first axis
> >
> > CTYPE2  = 'DEC--TAN'           / the coordinate type for the second axis
> >
> > CDELT1  = -0.00110560439808150 / degrees per pixel, increasing eastward
> >
> > CDELT2  = 0.001105604398081504 / degrees per pixel, increasing northward
> >
> > (etc)
> >
> > We were pleasantly surprised to find that Mark Calabretta's wcslib
> > library already supports this extension to the WCS usage.  The standard
> > image keywords can be used in binary tables to provide the default WCS
> [...]
Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu