[fitsbits] WCS keywords in tables

Mark Calabretta mcalabre at atnf.csiro.au
Wed Apr 7 23:19:25 EDT 2010

Hi Bill,

The WCSLIB implementation generalizes the usage of the SDFITS
convention:

  http://www.cv.nrao.edu/fits/documents/drafts/dishfits/sdfits.ps
  http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2000ASPC..216..243G

SDFITS dates back to 1995 and before.  Its WCS construct was the
obvious thing to do before the table keywords were defined by WCS
Paper I, so I wouldn't be surprised to find it elsewhere.

Processed data from the Parkes and Mopra radio telescopes are written
in SDFITS with this WCS convention.

Regards, Mark

On Tue 2010/04/06 12:56:25 -0400, William Pence wrote
in a message to: FITSBITS <fitsbits at nrao.edu>

So far there have been no objections to this simplifying WCS convention
for images stored in FITS binary tables.  If that's really the case,
then I will write up a short description (crediting Mark Calabretta as
the originator) and submit it for inclusion in the Registry of FITS
Conventions on the FITS support office web site.

Bill Pence