[fitsbits] question about imcopy.c

William Pence William.Pence at nasa.gov
Wed Aug 27 09:45:45 EDT 2008

I think the problem is that you are using an old version of CFITSIO.
The 'q' syntax was added fairly recently, so get the new 3.100 version
of CFITSIO and try again.  If you still have problems send me a private
email.

In addition, the old imcopy program is obsolete and has been replaced by
a new pair of FITS image compression/uncompression programs called fpack
and funpack.  These utility programs are analogous to gzip and gunzip,
but are optimized for astronomical images so they are faster and produce
smaller compressed files.  These utilities were developed in
collaboration with Rob Seaman (NOAO) and Rick White (STScI).  They are
available at http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/software/fitsio/fpack/
and are also bundled in with the CFITSIO 3.100 distribution.

Bill Pence