[fitsbits] Question(s) regarding development of proprietary FITS manipulation software. . .

Maren Purves m.purves at jach.hawaii.edu
Wed Sep 19 01:38:40 EDT 2007

you use cfitsio (well, I use cfitsio because I primarily
program in C these days when I have a chance, but I do a
few other things than write FITS files), and read in the header
which then tells you what length your data are ...

Again, the data have nothing to do with RGB pixels,
they are in physically meaningful units (and if it isn't
specified what they are you have pretty unreduceable (sp?)
data). You can map them to a color scale, but that's up
to you.

Maren
(trying to design and implement a cryostat control
system that needs to be converted from VAX FORTRAN
to EPICS, probably on vxWorks, but could end up being
Linux - on the side to dealing with operational issues)