[fitsbits] conversion of jpeg to fits

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy+fits at nrao.edu
Mon Sep 17 13:18:34 EDT 2007

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:45:34 +0530, "Sreenath K R" <sreenath.isac at gmail.com> said:

> I have jpeg image and I would like to convert it into fits
> format. Kindly do let me know how to convert jpeg format to fits
> format.

To first order, this works on most any Linux system:

  djpeg file.jpg | pnmtofits > file.fits

On a RedHat/Fedora system, djpeg is in the libjpeg RPM and pnmtofits is
in the netpbm-progs RPM package.  On Ubuntu Linux, djpeg is part of the
libjpeg-progs package and pnmtofits is part of the netpbm package.

 - Pat

--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.     NRAO Webmaster, Computing Security Manager
 http://www.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/          http://chien-noir.com/maze.shtml
                                    -- Thomas Jefferson, August 13, 1813