[fitsbits] Question(s) regarding development of proprietary FITS manipulation software. . .

Thierry Forveille Thierry.Forveille at obs.ujf-grenoble.fr
Mon Aug 27 05:15:46 EDT 2007

gberz3 a écrit :
> Why would *anyone* present FITS data as images if they are
> not image data?  Why not represent it as sound?
>
> I guess that's what I'm getting at.  What relevance does an image have
> to actual FITS data if there is no "attached" image, and what is the
> proper means by which to display said image?

The issue is mostly your notion of an image, vs an astronomer's
notion of the same. To you an image is something that can be
univocally displayed on a screen or printed, while to
astronomers it is a set of values (ideally in physical units,
such as Watts per square meter per steradian) sampled on a
regular grid. There is some link between the two notions,
but not a unique one: an astronomer's image can be displayed
but not in one unique way, and the reverse transformation
if/when at all possible, requires additional information
(e.g. the physical values for a subset of the pixels) and
significant calibration work. Essentially, an astromer's
image is a richer dataset, and someone needs to decide how
to degrade that information to what a display can show.

In addition, images (in the astronomer's definition) is only
one of the data classes that can be stored in FITS.