[fitsbits] EXTENDing FITS

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Sat Aug 25 12:01:17 EDT 2007

(I see Doug has also replied, arguing a middle path.)

Thierry Forveille wrote:

> Or one could take the (in my view more logical) view that a MEF
> file is the wrong choice when strong structural information needs
> to be included :-)

Presumably we would then not want to absolutely deprecate special
records :-)

Astronomical data is both large and often composed of large chunks.
A modest sized single data object of almost any nature can be
squeezed into a bintable with a purpose tailored schema.  One such
example would be a tile-compressed image.  A large but fine-grained
data object, e.g., a catalog, also wants something equivalent to a
bintable.

It is the chunkiness (of FITS and of the underlying data) that
demands an MEF-style mapping.  Whatever the nature of each chunk -
array or table or something else - there are usage scenarios
requiring simple access to at both the level of the individual chunks
as well as the entire file.  MEF is one solution that provides this.
A tightly coupled global tabular structure would be significantly
more unwieldy, e.g., Unix-style software tools would no longer work,
etc.

If we don't think MEFs are sufficient to the task - or that they
could be modified to serve the purpose - but we do want to retain
FITS as our foundation - then something other than stuffing
everything into a single monolithic bintable will be needed.  Special
records would be the only place to go.

Rather, it seems to me that both FITS and MEF are worthy - if
idiosyncratic - platforms for the next round of evolution of
astronomical data.  Our formats need to scale to data past the 2 GB
divide, e.g., LSST's 3.2 gigapixel camera - yet astronomers will want
to use familiar image processing tools (IRAF, IDL, etc.) on portions
and the whole of the focal plane.  It is immaterial if these looming
data cows choose some alternate internal format, since unless FITS is
going to be retired community-wide, it will have to retain
significant utility with new data products anyway.  (Or perhaps IVOA
has a master plan of sinking FITS beneath the waves?)

Rather, I think something along the lines of "Encapsulated FITS"
would combine both a semantically mature skeleton (fine grained per-
HDU data model with versioning/name-spacing) with coarse grained
structuring - perhaps a new INDEX extension type to be appended as
needed to complex MEF files.  Per-HDU semantics plus per-file
indexing.  There are options such as embedding XML structures to make
everybody happy (or maybe just as well - equally unhappy :-)

Meta-discussions as with EXTEND or duplicate keywords or keyword
continuation reflect a need for coherently extending our vision of
FITS.  The status quo likely won't scale to projects currently under
development.  The alternatives therefore are to use something other
than FITS, or to extend FITS.  Whichever it is, we should get started
soonish.

Rob