[fitsbits] EXTEND/NEXTEND reality check

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Aug 24 15:41:59 EDT 2007

Steve Allen inquired:

> If there is anyone on whose equipment the process described by Bill
> Pence is burdensome, speak now, otherwise don't reply.

I'm not sure we should be discussing burdensome demands placed on
anybody's equipment, and you guys can do whatever you want with [N]
EXTEND, but it behooves us to consider that even in a world of
limitless resources some requirements pertain to serialization, not
random access.

Not all FITS files are realized on hard media, random or otherwise -
in particular, any number of applications must parse FITS received
via the standard input or similar byte stream transport.  Certainly
NOAO's Save-the-bits does.

The question isn't only whether you need to seek willy-nilly through
a file, the question is whether it is efficient to seek in whatever
manner for whatever application.  STB doesn't care since my mandate
is to - well - save all the intervening bits.  And supporting some
modest complexity MEF file on disk likely won't be a challenge since
you only have to parse and skip a few dozen times.

On the other hand, perhaps there are applications relying on data
files with hundreds or thousands of extensions that require
idiosyncratic routing?  In that case, even on random access media [N]
EXTEND likely doesn't do *enough* and one might be tempted to
maintain a table of XTENSION keyword byte offsets in the primary (or
some other) HDU.

The tape-based STB relied on constructing a bi-directional linked
list of FITS header objects since a single large(ish) tape file might
contain hundreds of small IR images packed as IMAGE extensions.  Even
so, the problem was made much simpler by requiring an intermediate
random access copy of the new MEF before writing it to tape.  This
was deemed much more robust in an uncertain mountain environment than
copying the serial input direct through to the serial output.  A
similar logic applied to the CD-based STB which (of course) used the
normal two step process of 1) creating ISO image on scratch disk, and
2) mastering CD.

Rob