[fitsbits] Abuse of EXTEND keyword

William Pence pence at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Aug 24 15:51:00 EDT 2007

Keep in mind that if a keyword is officially "deprecated", then we are
telling software developers that they really should change their
software that creates FITS files so that it no longer writes the keyword
(unless one claims the loophole that applications that already use a
deprecated structure can continue to use it).  Simply making the keyword
optional would have less impact on developers and users.  For example,
if I were mandated to change CFITSIO to no longer write the EXTEND
keyword (it currently automatically writes EXTEND = T in every new FITS
file), then after projects upgrade to the new version, their FITS files
will suddenly be different than before.  The change should be harmless,
but still this may cause their regression testing to fail.

Dr. William Pence                       pence at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662       HEASARC        +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                      +1-301-286-1684 (fax)