[fitsbits] EXTEND/NEXTEND reality check

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Fri Aug 24 15:03:27 EDT 2007

On Fri 2007-08-24T14:39:58 -0400, William Pence hath writ:
> if software needs to know if there are extensions in the file then it
> can just do an inventory of the file in real time.  This is not a time
> consuming operation since it does not require reading the whole file;
> the software can directly jump to the header of each subsequent
> extension, at least on random access storage devices.

Let's do one reality check here.

I agree with the above, but if you meet me on the street I am probably
carrying > 50 GB of file storage which can be addressed in arbitrary
sequence (and I don't even know where I could find a tape drive to
read the boxes of 9-track tapes in my office).

If there is anyone on whose equipment the process described by
Bill Pence is burdensome, speak now, otherwise don't reply.

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>                WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory        Natural Sciences II, Room 165    Lat  +36.99855