[fitsbits] Proposed Changes to the FITS Standard

LC's NoSpam Newsreading account nospam at mi.iasf.cnr.it
Tue Aug 21 07:20:29 EDT 2007

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Maren Purves wrote:

> Hate to say this, but we're starting to have a generation
> problem. I got into FITS at the time of binary arrays,
> not at the start (so I'm in the 'middle; generation).

Hmm ... if nearly contemporary to FITS (I graduated 1 month before
FITS's birthday :-)) but of course wasn't in the Deciding Bodies that
early (or as early as generalized extensions were introduced).

> do we still have FITS files without extensions?

I guess there will be plenty, those which the programmer-type people
will ask "how different with JPEG".  Seriously, there is no need to use
an extension for a plain image or even a datacube.

> It being "once FITS always FITS" I object to making the
> EXTEND keyword optional.

The "fault" about EXTEND was in its original definition. The keyword
EXTEND=T was present "if the FITS file MAY contain extensions" and
it being equal to T did "not imply extensions be present". As such it
resembles a bit the present versioning/no-versioning discussion. But it
was/is pretty useless to tell whether the file really contains
extensions. So the safest way taken by FITS readers was to scan
anyhow after the PHDU for named XTENSION kwds.

I doubt there are many readers around which won't do that is EXTEND is
absent.