[fitsbits] Proposed Changes to the FITS Standard

LC's NoSpam Newsreading account nospam at mi.iasf.cnr.it
Fri Aug 17 10:38:27 EDT 2007

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Preben Grosbol wrote:

> It may be a matter of exact wording but the random groups header is
> the prime header.  A FITS reader which does not know about random
> groups may flag such a header as an error if PCOUNT does not
> follow directly after the last NAXISn keyword.

Since random groups were in the earliest FITS, I dare say that a generic
or non-radio FITS reader may decide not to support them, but cannot
afford to ignore them. They are clearly recognizable as flagged by
GROUPS=T, so the reader or verifier *must* recognize them (and ONLY then
*may* decide to ignore them).

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Eric Greisen wrote:

> Random groups is by no means a dead format. [...]
> If random groups are deprecated to the point of being illegal

Nobody is really proposing that. Actually the text of chapter 6 on
random group (and the introduction about deprecation) is UNCHANGED with
respect to earlier versions of the standard.

I am not sure whether the actual idea of "deprecation" arose in an
earlier version of chapter 6 or elsewhere. Anyhow also the general
definition of "deprecated" in chapter 2 did not change much and was NOT
made more restrictive.

It is (as it was originally) just a recommendation ("should") for NEW
application, and the text added in 3.0 is a guarantee clause for OLD
application (for them the deprecated structure SHALL remain valid).

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Rob Seaman wrote:

> I agree with Preben that there are also problems with introducing
> versioning, but otherwise conformance is unenforceable.  The suggested
> new wording of 3.7:

It might be that the text of 3.7 could be improved but what is the
actual impact of all this ?  Does it apply to specific pieces of
software ? to existing one ? to new one ? Or just to (human) programmers
instead of software ?

The main point is that it does NOT force OLDER files to need to be
rewritten to conform to new standard "additions".

Just as e.g. the Y2K change to the DATE format did not force anybody to
rewrite old file with the new ISO timestamp.

So a generic reader might have to support older and newer variants
(which gives a burden on us to clearly document how and when they
changed, and from what into what). Or if it supports only the new
variant it shall warn in case of non-compliance "maybe this is an older
file" (or check if possible if this is the case), and be somewhat
lenient.

However it is always possible to add a COMMENT which claims conformance
with the latest (e.g. 3.0) standard.

Lucio Chiappetti