[fitsbits] the need for BITPIX=64?

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Mon Jun 20 04:41:22 EDT 2005

On Mon 2005-06-20T09:49:04 +0200, Preben Grosbol hath writ:
>  - histogram need not have equal bin size - thus table are better

With the -TAB convention of WCS Paper III the world coordinate extents
of pixels need not be equal, nor do adjacent pixels in the FITS array
necessarily correspond to adjacent regions in world coordinates.
Which is to say, image arrays can serve this same function as tables.

Yes, this is still somewhat of a contrived example, but my impression
remains that we do no harm and much good by including 64-bit integers.

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>                   WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory        Natural Sciences II, Room 165       Lat  +36.99858