[fitsbits] FITS 'P' descriptors: signed or unsigned?

Francois Ochsenbein francois at vizir.u-strasbg.fr
Thu Jun 16 12:32:25 EDT 2005

Yes for the 64-bit in BITPIX / K / Q, but I would stronly suggest to
*NOT* expand the pointer/length from 31 to 32 bits in the P convention:
first the gain is minimal, and second the limit on file size of 32-bit
Unix machines used to be 2Gb, and not 4Gb -- the "largefile" Unix
extension was a move beyond 2Gb, and not beyond 4Gb (the 'G' here
means 1024^3)

There was also some suggestion about having a versioning mechanism in
FITS -- and it would be a great benefit, I think, to know right from the
beginning of a FITS input stream that it has (or may have), far beyond the
beginning of the file, some extensions which may NOT be recognized by an
old software. I feel this modification would be a good opportunity to
include this versioning mechanism in FITS.

--Francois.