[fitsbits] FITS 'P' descriptors: signed or unsigned?

Mike Nolan nolan at naic.edu
Thu Jun 16 10:36:25 EDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 06:21:27PM -0400, William Pence wrote:

> At issue is whether to reverse the recent decision to define the 'P'
> variable-length array descriptors in FITS binary tables to be a pair of
> 'signed 32-bit integers', and make them 'unsigned 32-bit integers' instead.
>    The first integer gives the number of elements in the array, and the 2nd
> integer gives the byte offset in the heap to the first element of the
> array. The practical consequence of this change is that it will double the
> allowed heap size from about 2.1 GB to about 4.2 GB.

I would recommend *against* this change. It only gains you one bit,
and does have potential implementation issues. It's not worth it. I
routinely run into 2GB limits, and about 2/3 as often I run into 4GB
limits. The solution is the Q descriptors, which almost everybody agrees
are necessary.

> descriptors).  Forcing the descriptors to be signed 32-bit integers
> artificially cuts in half the potential size of the heap.

I argue that a factor of only two is too small to be of general use.
Mike Nolan +1 787 878 2612 Fax: +1 787 878 1861 nolan at naic.edu
Arecibo Observatory, HC3 Box 93995, Arecibo, Puerto Rico 00612