[fitsbits] FITS 64-bit Integer Public Comment Period

LC's No-Spam Newsreading account nospam at mi.iasf.cnr.it
Thu Jun 16 09:55:47 EDT 2005

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 03:51:46PM -0400, William Pence wrote:
> >
> > Are you in favor of adding support in FITS for BOTH 64-bit integer images
> > and 64-bit integer table columns?  Should the FITS committees be allowed to
> > vote on each of these 2 cases separately (and perhaps approve one without
> > the other), or are these 2 cases so closely linked that they should only be
> > considered together?

I advocate three separate votes (BITPIX 64, TFORM nK and TFORM 1Qt).

Still lacking of a strong *intrinsic* reason to support BITPIX 64.

The Q pointer vote should also include the signed/unsigned stuff I'll
post about separately.

Also I'm somewhat worried by the limited number of responses (to the
public comment solicitation and in general. I solicited opinions in my
national community and got so far none). Too few FITS "developers"
around ?