[fitsbits] FITS Binary Table Proposals

William Pence William.D.Pence at nasa.gov
Fri Nov 12 17:17:09 EST 2004

I've made most of the changes suggested by Tom (you may need to clear your
browser's cache to force it to download the new version dated 12 November):

Thomas McGlynn wrote:
> They look pretty good to me, but here are a few comments.
>
> Some tiny editorial points in the TDIM convention.
> I'd just make it
>    8.3.6 Multidimensional Arrays
> This is now the standard way to define multidimensional arrays in FITS
> binary tables.

Done.

> For the second sentence
>    Any column with a dimensionality ... has ...
> not "will have" since we use present tense everywhere else in the
> discussion.

Not done.  The presence of the 'will' adds some desireable emphasis.  If the
column contains a multidimentional array, then it 'will' (meaning 'must')
have the TDIM keyword to indicate this fact.

> Typo in "see Section[m] 8.3.5"

Corrected.

> Similary for the Variable length arrays...
>
>    8.3.5 Variable Length Arrays

Done.

> I'm not sure that the last sentence to the third paragraph means
> anything, i.e., "Other established..." so I'd get rid
> of it.

It means that other FITS conventions, such as how to define world
coordinates, that have been defined to apply to fixed length arrays can also
be applied to variable length arrays.

> There is an upper limit to the size of the stored array: the maximum
> value of a 4 byte integer

A comment to this effect has been added

> A few things that should probably be tied down specifically that are
> currently a bit loose:
>
> 1. Are the sizes and offsets signed integers or unsigned?
> If there were defined to be unsigned integers they could handle
> objects twice as large and we wouldn't need to worry about
> negative offsets.

I don't think there is any question that these are intended to be signed
integers, so I added the adjective 'signed'

> 2. Can THEAP be negative?   The possibility of a negative 'gap'
> is not explicitly forbidden, but probably should be.   Or
> do we want to allow reuse of data from the table as variable
> length data.  One could make interesting structures...  Even if
> we permit negative THEAP's (which I suspect will not be the case)
> presumably it needs to be restricted to staying within the
> current Data unit.

If THEAP is negative, it would be pointing a location before the start of
the main data table, i.e., to somewhere in the Binary table header, or even
to a previous extension in the FITS file.  It would be sensible to require
that THEAP be positive, but that will require a change to a different
section of the FITS Standard than what is being considered in this proposal.