[fitsbits] FITS Binary Table Proposals

Thomas McGlynn tam at lheapop.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Nov 10 09:47:39 EST 2004

They look pretty good to me, but here are a few comments.

Some tiny editorial points in the TDIM convention.
I'd just make it
    8.3.6 Multidimensional Arrays
This is now the standard way to define multidimensional arrays in FITS binary tables.

For the second sentence
    Any column with a dimensionality ... has ...
not "will have" since we use present tense everywhere else in the discussion.

Typo in "see Section[m] 8.3.5"

Similary for the Variable length arrays...

    8.3.5 Variable Length Arrays

I'm not sure that the last sentence to the third paragraph means
anything, i.e., "Other established..." so I'd get rid
of it.

There is an upper limit to the size of the stored array: the maximum
value of a 4 byte integer

A few things that should probably be tied down specifically that are
currently a bit loose:

1. Are the sizes and offsets signed integers or unsigned?
If there were defined to be unsigned integers they could handle
objects twice as large and we wouldn't need to worry about
negative offsets.

2. Can THEAP be negative?   The possibility of a negative 'gap'
is not explicitly forbidden, but probably should be.   Or
do we want to allow reuse of data from the table as variable
length data.  One could make interesting structures...  Even if
we permit negative THEAP's (which I suspect will not be the case)
presumably it needs to be restricted to staying within the
current Data unit.

		Tom McGlynn