[fitsbits] fitsbits and spam (test)

Lucio Chiappetti nospam at mi.iasf.cnr.it
Fri Mar 19 10:46:16 EST 2004

This is a test to see if I can post to fitsbits "cloaking" my e-mail
address.

Because of the gateway to sci.astro.fits (is that bidirectional, correct
?) I'm pretty reluctant to post to a NG with my real address (those who
need it know it already). because I'm afraid if harvesting by spammers.

Our spam rate was recently greatly reduced when our institute changed
domain, and I do not like the idea that my present address gets into the
spammers list at the same intensity of the previous one.

This message is a test sent from a separate spam-proof account, and with
a cloaked address. I'm definitely sure I can POST to a NG from this, but
I'm not sure I can mail to the fitsbits list, and also what kind of
header information is preserved by the gateway.

If the test is successful (no address propagated in any header field), I
could try to mail from my account with the cloaked address (which is
much more comfortable than using the dedicated one).

Otherwise, would it be possible that the gateway software be configured
to somehow munge the addresses coming via fitsbits ?