[fitsbits] Re: INSTRUME, TELESCOP, etc.

Howard A. Bushouse bushouse at marvin.stsci.edu
Fri Jul 25 08:26:19 EDT 2003

In article <bfpjtn$cog$1 at skates.gsfc.nasa.gov>, William Thompson <thompson at orpheus.nascom.nasa.gov> writes:
|> I was reviewing a document suggesting keywords to be used in FITS headers, and I
|> was wondering if there was any kind of defacto standard beyond that in the FITS
|> definition.  The keywords being suggested were as follows
|>
|> 	INSTRUME	FITS Standard
|> 	TELESCOP	FITS Standard
|>
|> 	DETECTOR	The detector used
|> 	INSTITUT	The institution
|> 	OBSERVAT	The observatory
|> 	NETWORK		I think this keyword is meant to be used for data taken 				by a
|> network of observatories, such as the GONG network.
|>
|> Except for the first two, which are standard FITS keywords, are any of the other
|> keywords used elsewhere?  Or are their other forms which capture the same concepts?

STScI also routinely uses TELESCOP ("HST", and eventually "JWST"?),
INSTRUME ("ACS,COS,FGS,FOC,FOS,GHRS,HSP,NICMOS,STIS,WFPC2,WFC3"),
as well as DETECTOR (most HST instruments have more than one detector
channel in them). We don't use INSTITUT or OBSERVAT. As with the NOAO
usage, a lot of our software uses the INSTRUME and DETECTOR keywords.

Howard Bushouse
STScI/STSDAS group