[fitsbits] Endian state of multibyte Binary Data in FITS files

Milton Aupperle milton at SAPMMUSTDIEoutcastsoft.com.invalid
Thu Apr 24 18:25:11 EDT 2003

First time poster and  a FITS newbie.

I'm working on exporting FITS files from the API of a Astronomical CCD
Camera for Mac OS X (PowerPC processors Big Endian).  The binary images
are 16 bit Unsigned  grayscale with the proper flags to indicate it is
unsigned and how to convert it to. I have it all implemented and all
the Mac FITS viewers I've used are happy with the FITS file it creates.

However, I'm somewhat concerned about Endian ness of the Binary data.
I've looked through the various FITS specifications that I could find
on the Web or in PDF, but I have as yet not found a FITs tag that
indicates what endian the data is in.

Can anyone suggest a URL where I can find out about how to indicate or
determine what Endian multibyte data is in?

Thanks in Advance..

Milton Aupperle
www.outcastsoft.com
miltons (at) outcastsoft (dot) com