[fitsbits] Re: conversion fits -> gif

HL hlafoux at hep.saclay.cea.fr
Tue Nov 19 02:32:30 EST 2002

The ImageMagick is quite nice, but that's not excatly a "simple standalone"
utility.
To install, you need GLIBC_2.3, and RedHat 8.0, and both are not readily
available, especially when you are not root
of your linux machine.
I was looking for something easy to install, and doing "just" fits-> gif
conversion.

NB: The other few image converters listed at:
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/heasarc/fits.html

are either too old (pbmplus, 1991!, does not compile any more),  or require
the installation (as root) of many subpackage
(gint, which needs GTK, Pango, Atk, etc...).

yes Nigel, that would definitely be helpfull to have a simple fits->gif
converter
(being that you can after that easily convert from gif to anything if you
need)
with some basic command line options (to tune the color map, such as the
zscale setting of ds9).

herve

3dd94d93$0$18871$afc38c87 at news.optusnet.com.au...