[fitsbits] Chandra's WCS tour de force

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Aug 15 02:21:53 EDT 2002

Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> writes:

> The existing FITS standards provide good grammar of multi-HDU FITS
> files, but that grammar consists only of a set of nouns.  We don't
> have any verbs.

Another interesting FITS topic from the left coast.  A good item to
add to the agenda for the FITS BOF at ADASS.  Alternately, will we
have a quorum attending the upcoming SPIE conference?  These more
speculative topics would be ideally discussed over a Mai Tai down
by the lagoon.

Note an unstated premise of Steve's message:  Why shouldn't a FITS
viewer be built into our browsers?  Why should every step prior to
publication graphics be carried out in FITS, only to abandon FITS for
the final step that is actually visible to the public?

Rob Seaman
NOAO Science Data Systems