[fitsbits] WCS proposal review by FITS regional committees

dwells at nrao.edu dwells at nrao.edu
Fri Nov 10 11:26:01 EST 2000

Dear friends of FITS,

Yesterday I asked the FITS regional committees (European, Japanese,
North American) to begin consideration of the three WCS papers
for adoption as additions to the FITS standard. I append a copy of
that message.

I invite anyone in the worldwide FITS community who wants to be
involved in this _formal_ stage of the WCS negotiations to do so by
subscribing to the fitswcs at nrao.edu mailing list. You can do this
either by sending a request to me or by sending a message to
majordomo at majordomo.cv.nrao.edu containing the command 'subscribe
fitswcs' (without the quotes) as a line in the body of the message.
As you will see in the appended message, the primary purpose of the
mailing list is to facilitate discussions between the voting FITS
committee members and the authors of the papers plus the technical
team which participated in the previous round of WCS negotiations two
years ago, but I have already added several other nonvoting people to
the mailing list, and I am prepared to add more.

I encourage all FITS users to review the WCS papers and ask questions,
propose features and suggest changes of wording.  If you don't want to
subscribe to the mailing list, send your comments to the authors or to
me. It is especially important that any of you who are opposed to the
WCS proposal should inform me by private email.

Regards,
Don Wells [Chair, IAU FITS Working Group]