[fitsbits] FIT Keyword data dictionaries

Patrick Wallace ptw at star.rl.ac.uk
Sat Nov 4 01:45:06 EST 2000

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Doug Mink wrote:

<snip>

> TELESCOP= 'flwo1.2m'           / TELESCOPE NAME
> TELGLONG=             110.8748 /LONGITUDE, DEGREES WEST OF ZERO
> TELGLAT =              31.6809 /LATITUDE, DEGREES
> TELELEV =               2320.0 /ELEVATION, METERS

Are west-positive longitudes an established convention in FITS?  Although
at one time both west-positive and east-positive conventions were in use,
now the east-positive convention is universal.  Sorry USA: you're minus.

I should add that the SLALIB routine sla_OBS routine uses west-positive,
but this choice is historical.  (And regrettable;  I use east-positive
everywhere else, and warn in letters of fire that the sla_OBS convention
is an aberration.)

Patrick Wallace
Starlink/HMNAO                                  Internet:  ptw at star.rl.ac.uk
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory                       Tel:    +44-1235-445372
Chilton, Didcot, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK                   Fax:    +44-1235-446667