[fitsbits] FIT Keyword data dictionaries

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Fri Nov 3 18:43:53 EST 2000

On Fri 2000-11-03T14:33:33 -0500, Doug Mink hath writ:

> TELESCOP= 'flwo1.2m'           / TELESCOPE NAME
> TELGLONG=             110.8748 /LONGITUDE, DEGREES WEST OF ZERO
> TELGLAT =              31.6809 /LATITUDE, DEGREES
> TELELEV =               2320.0 /ELEVATION, METERS

I'll agree, and apologize now before becoming really pedantic about
coordinates.  Here are the data dictionary entries from the UCO/Lick
telescope context.  Is this too complete?

TELALAT
Astronomical latitude of the telescope.  (Appropriate for calculation
of atmospheric refraction.)

TELALON
Astronomical longitude of the telescope.  (Appropriate for calculation
of atmospheric refraction.)

TELGLAT
Geodetic latitude of the telescope.  (Appropriate for calculation of
topocentric position and radial velocity.)

TELGLON
Geodetic longitude of the telescope.  (Appropriate for calculation of
topocentric position and radial velocity.)

TELOHGT
Orthometric height of the telescope above the geoid (i.e., mean sea
level).  This is the height found from classical geodetic leveling
measurements, and most commonly reported as the altitude or elevation.
Commonly represented as 'H'.  H = h -N.

TELEHGT
Height of the telescope above the reference ellipsoid of the geodetic
datum.  This is the altitude most commonly reported by simple GPS
measurements.  Commonly represented as ''h''.  H = h - N.

TELGHGT
Height of the geoid above the reference ellipsoid of the geodetic
datum at the telescope.  Commonly represented as ''N''.  H = h - N.

TELGDATM
Name of the geodetic datum that defines the reference ellipsoid and
origin used for geodetic telescope position.  (Presuming the vertical
differences to be small, we do not currently have a TELVDATM for the
vertical datum of TELOHGT.)

--
Steve Allen          UCO/Lick Observatory       Santa Cruz, CA 95064
sla at ucolick.org      Voice: +1 831 459 3046     http://www.ucolick.org/~sla