[fitsbits] "astro-coding" of FITS images

Gunnar Triltzsch (nospam) "triltzsc" at student.tu-freiberg.de
Thu May 11 13:53:08 EDT 2000

Hello, can anybody help me with this ?

I want to convert my own astro-pictures to FITS - format. I know that
this can
be done with programs like GIMP or xv. But thats not what I'm looking
for.
Is there a program that takes the following input ( or similar ):
    * the image ( say in JPG, GIF however )
    * a list of coordinates in the picture ( pixel x, y and RA, DEC )
and produces a FITS-image with correct header values filled in ?
( similar to geo-coding of satellite imagery, I suppose  )

Thanks in advance for every hint.

Gunnar Triltzsch

P.S.: If there's no such software, can anyone tell me if it's worth
trying to write
        it on my own ( using FTOOLS for instance ).