[fitsbits] Fits Table Entries Referring to Keywords

Francois Ochsenbein francois at vizir.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Jul 12 19:11:06 EDT 2000

My personal suggestion would be to use directly the "bibcodes",
i.e. the 19-byte used by ADS (at your institute!) , Simbad and NED, as well
as on-line astronomical journals (ApJ, AJ, A&A, MNRAS, etc) to summarize
unambiguously the references from most astronomical publications --
e.g. 1987ApJS...63..487Z for the (really existing) 1987 paper by Zhang
& Sampson.  A direct link to the actual abstracts + electronic publication
can then be installed in a completely automated manner -- and
automated checking can also be performed.  Even if 19 bytes look large
for a single reference, it's really worth using so widely used conventions...
Francois Ochsenbein
CDS, Strasbourg