[fitsbits] Re: Windows FITS viewer / data extraction

William Pence pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 18 12:41:15 EST 2000

Nigel Eke wrote:

> George Dishman <george at briar.demon.co.uk> wrote
>
> > P.s. I had already found the FITS support centre on a web search
> > but on the news page it says:
> >  "1999 April 9
> >     All versions and copies of the FITS Support Office Software
> >     (FPCT and HEADLIST) have been taken out of service"
>
> I wanted to download the CFITSIO C library source from HEASARC, so perhaps
> that explains why it failed when I tried :-(      Dog-nabbit! I'll just have
> to write my own...

The FITS Support Office and the HEASARC are 2 completely separate
organizations at the Goddard Space Flight Center.  The FITS Support Office
software was withdrawn because it was largely superseded by software
developed at the HEASARC or other sites which has similar functionality.

The CFITSIO web site is alive and well, so try again at
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/fitsio/

-Bill Pence
Dr. William Pence                          pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662         HEASARC         +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                         +1-301-286-1684 (fax)