Viewing DSS Fits Files

Peter Teuben teuben at astro.umd.edu
Sat May 9 00:40:38 EDT 1998

Tom McGlynn wrote:

> FITSview did seem to be a very nice and powerful tool
> for displaying FITS image data and I anticipate that I will
> be using it now that I've downloaded it onto my PC.

I must have been doing something very basic wrong. I found FITSview
a bit annoying (on unix, never tried the win* versions):
It's most basic operation, changing the colortable interactively, was done in
another widget using sliders or so. I tried moving the mouse
in the window, with and without pressing down a variety of
keyboard buttons, and nothing appeared to change contrast/colors etc.
Perhaps I'm too spoiled by that and the client-server nature of saoimage
and SAOtng. Are there functional differences between the unix
and win* versions of FITSview. I noted that month after month it
is the top download from the NRAO ftp archive. I must be missing
something (apart from the blue screen of death of course)

Btw, saoimage is also pretty nice with DSS images. Displaying full
WCS info etc.

- peter