Q: Postscript and PDF

Fri Mar 28 11:22:22 EST 1997

In article
<Pine.OSF.3.95.970327181203.26322B-100000 at poseidon.ifctr.mi.cnr.it> you wrote:
: Please reply also by e-mail since I won't be reading news during coming Easter
: holidays !

:   - what would be the advantages and disadvantages of using PDF compared
:     with postscript ?

PDF was designed to overcome portability problems of PostScript.  It is
much more tightly controlled, and also has some features that make
viewing more efficient (a table of offsets so the browser can jump to
a page quickly).  The files are binary, so a bit more care is needed in
sending them around.

If you aren't having problems with PS files, PDF is not so important.
The Adobe viewers are pretty good on the platforms that support them,
on other platforms (OS/2 2.1, some flavors of unix) you use ghostview
or one of several other viewers.

:   - what are the implication in terms of word processors (as far as I know
:     MS Word or Latex can't produce it ; otherwise said, how is it generated ?)

There is a new tex that can write PDF directly, or dvi.  Currently it
only handles PNG graphics, but people are working to support EPS and
other formats.  Once this is working there will really be no reason for many
people to continue using .dvi files at all with TeX.  The other problems are
the lack of suitable fonts (e.g., type 1 ec fonts) for some people
and tools to replace dvicopy, etc. for reordering pages, etc.

Adobe Distiller is the mainstream way, and it can be used with dvips
if you get type 1 fonts.  There is a pdfwrite device in ghostscript,
but it only supoprts the base Adobe fonts, and converts others to
bitmaps or outline paths.  Actually, it works quite well for docs
that have only a little math if you use Times-Romand for the text font.
I have used it for a number of texinfo manuals, and the results were
quite useful.

With Word, you can install a printer drive that creates PS (part of
the Adobe distiller package).  Many people have reported that some
documents are converted to a raster format, which is also a problem
with the PS driver.  Maybe this has been fixed on the Win32 versions.

:   - what are the implications in terms of printing ? does one need to convert
:     to postscript to print it on the current printers ?

You generally print from the viewer, which adds a header and strips some
unwanted info.

--
George White <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca> <gwhite at bionet.bio.dfo.ca>