Happy Birthday, FITS!

Don Wells dwells at nrao.edu
Fri Mar 28 10:44:37 EST 1997

Dear friends of FITS,

I consider today, March 28th, to be the birthday of FITS, because it
was on this day in 1979 that Eric Greisen and I negotiated the original
FITS Agreement. FITS is 18 years old today.

Five years ago, as a birthday present for FITS, I prepared my version
of the early history and pre-history of FITS; see this URL:

http://www.cv.nrao.edu/fits/documents/overviews/history.news

The supply of original reprints of FITS papers is not yet exhausted:

 8 copies of "FITS: A Flexible Image Transport System",
		Wells, Greisen, Harten, A&A Suppl. 44, 363-370 (June 1981).
		This is the Basic FITS paper, the original reference.

 7 copies of "The FITS tape formats: flexible image transport systems",
		Greisen, Wells, Harten, SPIE 264, 298 (1980).
		This was actually the first published paper about FITS.
		It is notable for its Figure 2, a superb schematic
		illustration of the random groups data structure concept
		as realized in a FITS file; this concept is also
		applicable to many BINTABLE data structures.

18 copies of "An extension of FITS for groups of small arrays of data",
		Greisen, Harten, A&A Suppl. 44, 371-374 (June 1981).
		This is the Random Groups paper, a key part of the
		conceptual basis for the BINTABLE Agreement of 1991.

15 copies of "Binary table extension to FITS",
		Cotton, Tody, Pence, A&A Suppl. 113, 159-166 (1995).
		This is the BINTABLE paper.

I will be delighted to mail out sets of these reprints until the supply
is exhausted; send your requests to me by Email.

Best regards,
Don Wells
(Chair, IAU FITS Working Group)
  Donald C. Wells         Associate Scientist         dwells at nrao.edu
                    http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/~dwells
  National Radio Astronomy Observatory                +1-804-296-0277
  520 Edgemont Road,   Charlottesville, Virginia       22903-2475 USA