Fits to JPEG or GIF

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at ifctr.mi.cnr.it
Mon Apr 28 03:53:22 EDT 1997

On 22 Apr 1997, Dana Irvin wrote:

> Does anyone have or know of any apps that convert FITS images to JPEG or
> GIF images? I need to to make an online image archive.

If you can display them on the screen using any astronomical software
(MIDAS, IRAF, SAOimage, IDL), you can then use "xv" to capture a GIF dump
of the window (or portion of it).
IDL can also read a dump of the current plot device (use Z buffer if you
are not at an X-capable console) and output it as GIF.

Lucio Chiappetti - IFCTR/CNR - via Bassini 15 - I-20133 Milano (Italy)
Fuscim donca de Miragn        E tornem a sta scio' in Bregn
Che i fachign e i cortesagn   Magl' insema no stagn begn
Drizza la', compa' Tapogn                            (Rabisch, II 41, 96-99)
For more info : http://www.ifctr.mi.cnr.it/~lucio/personal.html