[evlatests] RFI in X-band

Dan Mertely dmertely at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 16 14:25:45 EDT 2019

Hi Rick & Vivek.  Yes, this is most probably from the airborne
weather avoidance radars on commercial aircraft.  If you see it
quite frequently, but it comes and goes and changes amplitude,
that is the likely culprit.  (There are a lot of commercial
aircraft from horizon-to-horizon at any one time, so the RFI
might appear continual but varying.  The most quiet time would
be between 4 & 6 AM local)  Also in the 9.0-9.8 GHz region
of X-band are the APG-68 flight control radars on F16s (flown locally
by the NMANG).  They would be infrequent, short-duration, and very
variable in amplitude.  -Mert