[evlatests] Bandpass Ripple in ea28, RCP, L-band

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Oct 4 12:28:14 EDT 2019

     I'd like to return to this topic, with some more information.

     There is no doubt that the W8 RFI monitor is the guilty party.  The
new information is this:

     The data came in three configurations:  For the first, ea24 was on
W8.  For the second and third, ea28 was on W8.  In reviewing the
calibration, I find:F

     a)The rapid oscillation noted before is on these antennas -- and
only these antennas.

     b) The cross-polarization signals (RL and LR correlations) are
*completely ruined* on all baselines connected to ea24 for the first
configuration, and ea28 for the other two.

     The reason for this cross-polarization problem is that the
fine-scale ripple is both extremely large, and extremely time variable.
So there is no way we can realistically 'calibrate it out'.      No
doubt the parallel-hand signal (for the polarization used for that
monitor) is similarly affected by the time variability.

     The fact that this problem was easily visible on two different
antennas (which occupied the same pad -- W8), on three observations
spanning many months, strongly suggests that many other observations
have been affected.

     Hence my questions:

     A) Has the current problem (with ea28) been repaired?

     B) Do we really need this monitor?  Unless the reflection
associated with this monitor is reduced by at least 20dB, the
observational data cannot be used.