[evlatests] generator testing side-effects

Ken Sowinski ksowinsk at nrao.edu
Tue Feb 19 12:36:29 EST 2019

During the generator testing last Wednesday I recorded 48V powerplant
voltage and current from the M302, and sampler temperatures for all
four modules at the antennas chosed to be distributed over all three
arms and the master pad.  The antennas used were:
West arm:  ea01, ea02, ea28 (master pad)
North arm: ea04, ea06, ea11, ea15
East arm:  ea10, ea16, ea23

This is the first of two notes and describes the overall antenna and
power plant response.  The second will describe the sampler behavior.

An unexpected result is that about half the antennas suffered a
communication outage when AC power was removed from the antenna.
At least one antenna on the East arm had communications restored
before AC power was restored.  The antennas which experienced
a communication outage are:

    ea28, ea06, ea11, ea15, ea10,

This mad it difficult to fully discern sampler behavior for
these antennas.

All antennas had a slow ripple in current draw with period of
about a minute and amplitude of less than an amp.  ea02 was different
in that the amplitude was 7 or 8 amps.  I've no idea whether that
is real or the result of a faulty current sensor.  It was easy to
see a reduction in current draw when samplers were commanded off due
to over temp.

It would be good to have an explanation for the communication
interruption in so many antennas.