[evlatests] S&R failure statistics

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed May 9 16:07:22 EDT 2018

     Ken asked if the 'set and remember' (= S&R) failures repeated from
one day to another, and how these failures were distributed over bands
and IFs.

     I've done the numbers, from my recent three science runs, all using
X through Q bands.

     1) Distribution over bands/IFs.

             Although these failures (defined here as the power to the
sampler low by a factor of two or more) occur at all bands and IFs, they
are uncommon *except* in the 10 -- 12 GHz IF band. (Uncommon is defined
as five failures or less out of the 27 antennas).  In the 10-12 GHz
band, more than half the antennas fail.

     2) Distribution over time.

             The statistics failures are the same over time for the thee
runs.  However, it is not true that the same antennas fail each time.
Indeed, there is little to no repeatibility in which antennas fail to
have their powers set.

     One other point -- Xband Hi (10 -- 12 GHz) not only fails far more
frequently than any other, but the severity of the failure is also very
much higher.  I have an example of an antenna whose power was low by
nearly a factor of 10,000!