[evlatests] Referenced Pointing Failures and Holography

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 8 15:54:00 EDT 2018

     We are continuing our efforts, begun last summer, to align the
VLA's optics for optimal high frequency observing.  Progress is excellent.

     This is high precision work, and it is critical that the antennas
point as precisely as possible during the raster beam cuts needed to
determine subreflector positioning.  For this, we utilize the holography
mode.

     Last summer, we made the happy discovery that the holography mode
utilizes 'secondary referenced pointing' by default.  Within the
holography function, referenced pointing is always implemented (with a
cadence determined by the user).  By default, the function utilizes
offset pointing values previously determined, and determines an
'updated' value which is then applied.  What makes this especially
useful for our studies is that these coefficients are remembered for a
subsequent holography raster call -- so long as a 'normal' observation
is not made in between.

     However, another 'feature' of the holography function has been
discovered.  And this is not a happy one.

     For reasons unclear, the referenced pointing determination within
the holography function occasionally (about 5% of the time) fails to
find a solution.  When this happens, it is very clear that the result is
then to 'forget' the previously determined offsets, apparently setting
them to zero.

     In some cases, this is not harmful, but in most cases it is, as we
are making use of the 'memory' to determine small changes in large
offsets (compared to the primary beamsize) at high frequencies.

     It would be useful if this 'reset to zero' feature were replaced
with a 'stay where you are' feature when the referenced pointing fails.

     Besides this, we need to find why referenced pointing fails. In
every case in these recent studies, the quality of the data, the
strength of the source, the stability of the weather, and the size of
the offset correction are such that the solution should be easily
determined.  To emphasize this point -- there are more failures at Ku
band than at any higher band (including Q).  This cannot be explained by
any of the normal reasons listed for pointing mode failures.

     Rick